Toyo Seikan Group Environmental Policy and Management Framework
Environmental Vision and Goals
Based on the Toyo Seikan Group Environmental Policy, which was established in 2002, we have been actively working on the protection and improvement of the global environment through our business activities. In 2021, we revised our long-term goals, which had previously aimed for a "low-carbon society" but now aims to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 toward a “zero-carbon society,” and also raised the mid to long-term targets for fiscal 2030. Taking specific measures to reduce environmental impact, we will drive our efforts in an effective manner.
Toyo Seikan Group Environmental Policy
We clearly understand that the protection and improvement of the global environment is one of the most important issues common to all mankind. Based on this point of view, we will contribute to more fulfilling daily lives with careful consideration to the environment in every aspect of our business operation.
Combining our proprietary technologies and tapping into technologies across the world, we will contribute to achieving a sustainable society from three perspectives in the value chain of our products, services and systems.
Environmental Action Policy
- 1.Reduce our carbon footprint through conserving energy and increasing the ratio of renewable energy sources.
- 2.Provide products, services and systems that have a lower environmental impact throughout their lifecycles by pursuing a product design that allows for more use of recycled and renewable materials and improved recyclability of products.
- 3.Make effective use of resources by cutting material input, reducing the amount of waste and turning waste into resources.
- 4.Reduce the use and discharge of materials and substances that could have an adverse impact on the environment, and switch to alternative ones.
- 5.Prevent environmental pollution and commit ourselves to addressing the global problem of marine plastic litter.
- 6.Engage in mutual understanding with stakeholders through proactive communication regarding environmental issues.
Long-Term Goals towards 2050
- （1）We aim to substantially reduce CO2 emissions to achieve carbon neutrality.
- （2）We will reduce the amount of virgin resources used in our products and replace them with recycled and renewable materials.
- （3）We will contribute to the creation of a society that allows humans and all other creatures on the planet to continue to coexist with one another, taking into consideration the lifecycles of our products and services.
Revision of Mid- to Long-Term Environmental Targets “Eco Action Plan 2030”
The Eco Action Plan 2030, formulated in fiscal 2019, is a set of quantitative environmental targets for the Group to achieve by 2030, the target year of the SDGs, through the activities to address climate change, promote resource recycling, deal with marine plastic pollution and conserve biodiversity. Recently we have revised our Environmental Vision, which had previously aimed for a "low-carbon society" but now aims to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 toward a “zero-carbon society,” and have also raised the mid- to long-term targets for fiscal 2030. We will effectively implement our plan by taking specific measures to reduce the environmental impacts.
Addressing Climate Change
We will reduce carbon emissions from our operations (Scope 1 emissions directly from fuel combustion and Scope 2 emissions indirectly from electricity consumption) as well as emissions from the upstream and downstream of our supply chain (Scope 3 emissions). We have set our reduction targets focusing particularly on the emissions associated with procurement (purchased products and services) and disposal of products we sold, which account for a significant portion of the total emissions from the entire supply chain.
In July 2021, we officially announced our support for the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosure (TCFD). We will conduct a scenario analysis to identify climate-related risks and opportunities and a qualitative and quantitative assessment of business impact based on the results of our climate-related risk materiality assessment.
We will switch materials used for our products from fossil-based to recycled and renewable materials, including plant-based plastics. In setting the numerical targets, we placed high priority on transforming the current system that relies on single-use products into a “circular” system by minimizing the consumption of exhaustible resources and designing easily recyclable products.
Marine Plastic Pollution
We provide a lot of plastic products for the society but find it difficult to solve the problem of ocean plastic litter just by ourselves. We will cooperate with all partners in our value chain to continue to address this issue.
Eco Action Plan 2030
- (1)In November 2021, we raised two of the main targets of the Eco Action Plan 2030, as follows:
- ・ Reduction of CO2 emissions from our operations (Scope 1 & 2): 35% ⇒ 50%
- ・ Reduction of CO2 emissions from the supply chain (Scope 3): 20% ⇒ 30%
- (2)An exhaustible resource is a natural resource that is not replenished by natural processes as fast as humans consume it.
- (3)Fossil resources include crude oil and natural gas.
Toyo Seikan Group Environmental Management System
The Toyo Seikan Group has established the Group Sustainability Committee (chaired by the President of Toyo Seikan Group Holdings) to promote sustainability management on a group-wide basis. With respect to the environmental aspect of sustainability management, the Group Environmental Activity Committee discusses relevant issues and makes decisions, overseeing environmental activities across the Group. Based on the committee’s decisions, individual group companies develop initiatives to promote their environmental management activities.
Toyo Seikan Group Environmental Management System
- *This chart is scrolled